WHO: Our top-level players within the TOS regions. WHERE: 3 Rounds spread across the TOS regions. WHAT: 3…
Nelson Hockey Association
Do you have a passion for COMMUNITY SPORT!
Nelson Hockey Association are looking for a dynamic, energetic individual to fill our new role as NHA Umpires Coordinator. If you are keen to get fully immersed in community sport and be a key contributor to the Associations purpose of “providing a great sport for life” we are looking for you!
Purpose of the position
This position has the primary role of leading the development of Nelson Hockey Association’s umpires handling all Umpires related matters at the Organization.
The position works closely with members and other key stakeholders and as such requires a high level of customer service.
The position works within the budgetary requirements as set by the NHA Operations Manager each year and operates in a manner which achieves the goals set in the Nelson Hockey Association Long Term Plan.
To recruit, develop and support our umpires for the local competitions and to strive for the national pathway.
- Develop a stable base of umpires across all grades.
- Assist transition from club-based umpires to Nelson Hockey Association umpires.
- Facilitate and promote accessibility to umpiring at all levels.
- Build capable/qualified umpires.
- Organise structured development nights.
- Create weekly umpiring objectives.
- Organise video clip sessions.
- Facilitate weekly self-reflection/logbook entries.
- Organise umpire exchange.
- Initiate mentoring programme for national pathway umpires.
- Build a positive team culture within the umpiring group.
- Appoint umpires to weekly club fixtures.
- Work with NHA to source funding/sponsorship for new umpiring kit.
- Promote social umpire’s events.
- Develop a safe feedback system.
- Develop a working relationship with NHA with effective support strategies.
- Build an effective communication network within the umpire’s group and wider community.
- Introduce captain/coach feedback.
- Attend and present at preseason clubs/coaches/captains NHA meeting.
- Promote Nelson Hockey Umpires Facebook and email.
- Be open and receptive to new ideas and feedback.
Work experience & skills Essential experience
· High level knowledge and understanding of the rules of Hockey, umpiring, squad umpire’s selection, and the umpire development pathway.
· Strong and well developed written and verbal communication skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively problem solve and resolve conflict.
· Demonstrated ability to work autonomously.
· High level computer literacy, including proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products.
· The ability to plan and prioritize work and maximize the use of internal and external resources to achieve outcomes.
· Preparedness to be flexible in respect to work hours. Desirable experience.
· Exposure in working within a member-based association particularly in a sport and recreation environment.
- Experience with hosting and organising umpires at competitions and tournaments.
- Experience in the delivery of coaching umpires, volunteer, and umpires’ development initiatives.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity, community minded.
· This position is reviewed on an annual basis on the anniversary of appointment.
This role would need to be filled by someone with sound hockey knowledge with preference given to those with experience in umpiring. This position is an organisational and facilitation role only. We estimate this role would require 10 hrs. per week for the first year in action from April to August.
The Association governs hockey in the Nelson Region, providing social and competitive hockey opportunities to our membership and clubs, and development opportunities to schools.
With around 1000 members we must ensure we remain relevant to our community and provide a service that caters for young kids all the way through to our most senior volunteers and players.
Boasting 2 international standard turfs, we attract both national and international tournaments.
For a full role description or further information please contact:
Applications close: Friday 25th February.
Interviews will be held the week beginning 28th of February in Nelson Hockey Association.